OHSAS 18000 is an international occupational health and safety management system specification. It comprises two parts, 18001 and 18002 and embraces a number of other publications.The OHSAS specification is applicable to any organisation that wishes to establish an OH&S management system to eliminate or minimise risk to employees and other interested parties who may be exposed to OH&S risks associated with its activities.
It benefits companies an a number of ways:
- Assure itself of its conformance with its stated OH&S policy
- Demonstrate such conformance to others
- Implement, maintain and continually improve an OH&S management system
- Make a self-determination and declaration of conformance with this OHSAS specification.
- Seek certification/registration of its OH&S management system by an external organisation