Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor (DGSA) experts play a vital role in helping clients to ensure safe transportation of dangerous goods by Road, Rail, Sea and Air.
Our DGSA experts can carry out the following duties for you in relation to the transport of dangerous goods:
- Provide expert and practical advice on Road, Rail, Sea and Air transportation safety legislation
- Prepare your annual report for you as required by legislation
- Monitor procedures and practices
- Investigate and prepare reports on any accidents or emergencies
Any business involved in activities such as the transport, or related loading or unloading, of dangerous goods by Road, Rail, Sea or Air is required to appoint one or more DGSAs (part-time or full-time).
These advisors must be competent in the area of safe transportation by Road, Rail, Sea or Air of dangerous goods and the associated legislation. The DGSA is responsible for helping to prevent accidents to people, property and the environment from transportation activities.
Recent legislative changes are now in effect in Ireland, including:
- The Carriage of Dangerous Good by Road Regulations 2007
- Miscellaneous Provisions Regulations (S.I. No. 288 and 289 of 2007)
These regulations apply to the carriage of dangerous goods by road in tanks, bulk, packages including the packing, filling, loading and unloading of dangerous goods in relation to their carriage.
The 2009 revision of ADR Regulations introduced a big change to the instructions in writing, both in terms of the content and who is responsible for supplying them.
Among the key changes:
- The driver / carrier has to provide instructions in writing
- The instructions must be in a language that the vehicle crew can understand
- There will be one set of instructions to cover all dangerous goods
- The complete written instructions are included in the ADR 2009 text
Since 1st July 2009, the new instructions in writing must be used at all times when hazardous goods are transported by road.
Image source: http://zadriska.com/dangerous-good-safety-advisor